Friday, April 10, 2009

Postscript

If you read the comments made to the previous post about my grandfather (I'm referring to the the last two) you'll know why a conversation I had yesterday gave me goosebumps. I ran into a friend who knew about my grandfather's passing. When I told her about my discovery of my granddad's last two words she asked me if I'd read Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. I had, but many years ago. She reminded me of something Dillard had written and later emailed me this passage:

"I think that the dying pray at the last not “please,” but “thank you,” as a guest thanks his host at the door. Falling from airplanes the people are crying thank you, thank you, all down the air, and the cold carriages draw up for them on the rocks. Divinity is not playful. The universe was not made in jest but in solemn incomprehensible earnest."

2 comments:

jenni said...

Wow. I had forgotten that amazing quote, too.

Karen Miedrich-Luo said...

For good of for bad, he was one who lived his life in earnest self-reliance inhaling the present air. It's hard to regret the past when you live every moment in the now. I'm sorry is for the past, please is for the future. Only someone awake to the moment can say thank you. Perhaps that is a secret to his longevity. What a tribute.