Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Melancholy Part 2


Not to obsess or anything, but these unyieldingly leaden, cold, introverted weeks on end have taken their toll. I'm not the only one clawing at the walls and jonesing for spring. A lot of people I know are hanging on by their fingernails.
Today we had temps of over 70 with clear skies and bright sun. I felt like superwoman. On the way back from a meeting today, knowing tomorrow promises rain and falling temps, I hijacked my sweetie and took the very long road home. We had the windows down and music up, winding around the backroads till we ran across Ray's BBQ where we stopped for a late lunch. Need I say "bliss?" However, winter is not finished with us yet so here is another take (see Jan. 22 for "In Praise of Melancholy") on melancholy to cheer us all up as we endure its last hurrah: The Miracle of Melancholia

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you have a fireplace and a cozy chair? I might yearn for leaden skies with a nutmeggy cocoa in one hand and eye candy in the other. But then, we haven't had to shovel the walk.......
Karen

Anonymous said...

Gosh, sounds too good to be true, really.

allison said...

OK, anon, pay attention. I've told you three times that dang fireplace is "decorative." It might as well be a cardboard stage prop. Shoveling the walk has been at a minimum this year...it's shoveling the clouds from the sky that has been the challenge.

And other anon...did YOU write one of those pieces on melancholy?

jenni said...

I hear you! I am drinking in today's sunshine. We are getting OUT of the house.

Anonymous said...

i see . . .

CARDBOARD????

shovelling? minimum? i BEG to differ ....

wash-ing your hair & despair